Welcome to the Jiang Research Lab!
Our group focuses on applying scanning probe-based nanotechnology in nanostuctures design and properties investigation. We are developing a hybrid technique by combining scanning probe microscopy with optical spectroscopy to understand and predict the single-molecule processes at the nano-scale, including charge transfer, electron localization and generation, photoabsorption and photoemission, which provides new insights into the discover and design of new optical and electronic devices.
- Nan was invited to give a seminar at National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Our first surface reaction paper “Direct Observation of the Geometric Isomer Selectivity of a Reaction Controlled via Adsorbed Bromine”, first authored by Jeremy, is published by Nanoscale. Check it here: DOI: 10.1039/C9NR09857G.
- Nan was invited to present our recent results at WE-Heraeus-Seminar “Operando surface science – Atomistic insights into electrified solid/liquid interfaces” at Bad Honnef, Germany.
- Nan visited Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, and gave a seminar in Stuttgart, Germany.
- Jeremy received the Paaren Fellowship to support his graduate research starting from Jan 2020. Congratulations, Jeremy!
- The Jiang lab has been recommended for a National Science Foundation CAREER award. Very grateful for the support from NSF!
- Our new TERS paper “Defining Multiple Configurations of Rubrene on a Ag(100) Surface with 5 Angstrom Spatial Resolution via Ultrahigh Vacuum Tip-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy” is accepted by J. Phys. Chem. C. Check it here: DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b09162.
- Welcome graduate student Zhongyi Lu to the group. Zhongyi also received “Wonhwa Cho Fellowship” from UIC Chemistry Department.
- Jeremy won 2019 AVS Nanometer-Scale Science and Technology Division Award. Congratulations, Jeremy!
- Nan, Jeremy and Sayantan presented at AVS 66th National Meeting.
- Nan gave an invited seminar at University of Wyoming.
- Nan was invited to give a talk at SCIX 2019 Rising Stars in Plasmonics session.
- Our new TERS paper “Probing Surface Mediated Configurations of Nonplanar Regioisomeric Adsorbates using Ultrahigh Vacuum Tip-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy” is accepted by Nanoscale. Check it here: https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2019/NR/C9NR06830A.
- Jeremy and Sayantan presented our new TERS results in AVS Prairie Chapter Symposium 2019.
- Nan gave a keynote talk at ChinaNANO 2019.
- Nan gave an invited talk at ACS national meeting 2019 (Fall). Jeremy also presented his new results at ACS meeting.
- Nan gave an invited seminar at the Center for Nanoscale Materials, Argonne National Laboratory.
- Sayantan presented his new TERS work at the 21st International Vacuum Conference in Sweden.
- Nan gave an invited talk at the 4th International Conference on Enhanced Spectroscopies at London, Canada.
- Welcome high school students Aliza Panjwani and Akshay Undevia to the group.
- Our new collaboration paper “Plasmon-induced hot electron transfer in Au–ZnO heterogeneous nanorods for enhanced SERS ” is accepted by Nanoscale. Check it here: doi.org/10.1039/C9NR02969A.
- Sayantan Mahapatra’s paper “Angstrom Scale Chemical Analysis of Metal Supported Trans– and Cis-Regioisomers by Ultrahigh Vacuum Tip-Enhanced Raman Mapping ” is accepted by Nano Letters. Check it here: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b00826.
- Sayantan received the Bodmer Travel Award, and will present his work at the 21st IVC Conference in Sweden. Congratulations again, Sayantan!
- Nan gave a seminar at the Department of Physics, UIC.
- Jeremy Schultz’s collaboration paper (with Prof. Salehi-Khojin group) is accepted by Adv. Func. Mater.. Check it here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/adfm.201805693.
- Nan gave a seminar at the Department of Physics and Astronomy of California State University, Northridge.
- Jeremy traveled to Elizabeth Ide Elementary School to perform a series of science demonstrations for second graders.
- Nan gave a seminar at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry of Loyola University Chicago.
- Nan gave a seminar at the School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering of Lanzhou University.
- Welcome graduate students Kai Wang and Dairong Liu to the group.
- Nan gave an invited talk at SciX 2018: The Great Scientific Exchange.
- Jeremy gave an oral talk at AVS 65th National Meeting.
- Sayantan presented his new TERS work at the University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Nan gave two talks at the Center for Quantum Nanoscience, Ewha Womans University and The University of Hong Kong.
- Jeremy won AVS Dorothy M. and Earl S. Hoffman Travel Grant.
- Jeremy’s work, “In a Small Window”, was been selected as this year’s 3rd Place winner in the “Image of Research” at UIC. Congratulations again, Jeremy!
- Our high school student Aliza presented our new TERS results in AVS Prairie Chapter Symposium 2018.
- Want to know how to make your grad school choice? Below is an article about a few chemistry grad students describe the academic, personal,
and aspirational factors that drove their decisions: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/cen-09636-cover3
- Nan was invited to give a talk at SPIE Optics + Photonics 2018.
- Nan gave an invited talk and Jeremy presented a poster on The International Conference on Raman Spectroscopy (ICORS) 2018 in Jeju, Korea.
- Jeremy got The Best Poster Award on ICORS 2018! Many congratulations, Jeremy!
- Welcome undergraduate student Brian Spencer from Kennedy King College to the group.
- The Jiang lab has been awarded a National Science Foundation Fund!
- The Jiang lab has been awarded an American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund!
- Welcome Dr. Linfei Li to the group!
- EunByoel Kim received “The Leonard Kotin Award for Physical Chemistry”. Congratulations, EunByoel!
- Jeremy received the Bodmer Travel Award, and will present his work at the 26th International Conference on Raman spectroscopy in Korea.
- Philip Whiteman’s first paper is accepted by J. Phys. Chem. C! Check it at doi:10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b12068.
- Nan was invited to give a seminar at the Department of Physics, the University of Utah.
- Our new article “Probing Intermolecular Vibrational Symmetry Breaking in Self-Assembled Monolayers with Ultrahigh Vacuum Tip-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy” was accepted by J. Am. Chem. Soc.. Check it at doi:10.1021/jacs.7b10645.
- Zack graduated with a Master degree in Chemistry. Congratulations, Zack!
- Nan was invited to visit Surface and Interface Science Laboratory @ RIKEN, Japan.
- Welcome graduate student Sayantan Mahapatra to the group.
- Philip and Jeremy presented at the University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Student Research Symposium. Jeremy won the first place for the poster competition. Congratulations, Jeremy!
- We received the CURA (Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Award) to support Erin Ehlers to work as a undergraduate researcher from fall 2017 to spring 2018.
- Philip presented our new TERS results in AVS Prairie Chapter Symposium 2017.
- Welcome high school students Aliza Panjwani and Allison Korkmaz to the group.
- Philip was invited to present at science club at the Goodman Community Center in Madison, Wisconsin.
- We received the LASURI (The College of Liberal Arts Undergraduate Research Initiative) award to support EunByoel Kim to work as a undergraduate researcher from fall 2017 to spring 2018.